Save space in your cart and extend the life of the landfill when you use the Recycle it! tool. It's as easy as 1-2-3.
1. Think of an item you might want to recycle
2. Enter the item name at plano.gov/recycleit
3. Get instructions on how to recycle it and where to recycle or donate it
- Collection & Cart Information
- Acceptable Recyclables
- Not Accepted
- Recycle Drop-Off Locations
- Electronic Recycling
- Curbside Textile Recycling
- Residential Collection Calendar Opens a New Window.
- Interactive Collection Schedule Map Opens a New Window.
Preparing Your Recyclables
- Recyclables should be placed loosely in your recycling cart.
- Shredded paper should be in clear plastic bags
- If we can't see it; it can't be recycled.
Cart placement is vital to our collection service. Please adhere to the following guidelines so we may service your cart safely and efficiently.
- Place carts at collection point by 7 a.m. on your collection day with wheels facing the garage and the lid opening toward the alley.
- Allow a MINIMUM of 2 feet of space between your cart and fence and any other object, which may increase damage risk. (i.e., gas meter, mailbox, cable box, parked vehicle and landscape waste pile/bags)
Blocking Access to Carts
According to the City of Plano Ordinance, it is unlawful to stop, stand, or park a vehicle or trailer on public or private property preventing access to solid waste or recycling collection carts by a collection truck attempting to service the cart.
The City of Plano accepts the following items for recycling:
- Aluminum, tin and steel cans
- Chipboard / boxboard (cereal and shoe boxes)
- Glass jars, containers, dishes, drinking glasses and vases
- Junk mail, mixed office paper, school papers and non-metallic paper gift wrap
- Milk and food containers
- Newspaper, magazines and catalogs
- Food and beverage cartons
- Paper grocery bags
- Phone books
- All plastic bottles, containers and lids stamped 1-7. Keep lids loosely attached. No Styrofoam please
- Shredded paper - place in a sealed clear plastic bag
- Small corrugated cardboard boxes - should be clean, dry and placed loosely in cart
- Large cardboard boxes should be emptied (free of plastics, Styrofoam, trash, etc.), flattened and placed out for collection with your yard trimmings
- Wax coated cartons
Items NOT accepted:
- Aerosol cans
- Aluminum foil
- Baby diapers
- CDs / CVDs
- Facial or toilet tissue
- Light bulbs
- Metallic and cellophane gift wrap
- Paper towels
- Plastic bags (can be returned to the grocery store)
- Plastic containers used for motor oil, antifreeze or other hazardous materials
- Plastic wrap and plastic toys
- Trash bags
- Wire hangers
Drop-off containers for all items accepted through Environmental Waste Services residential recycling program are at the following locations:
7501 N Independence Parkway
6200 Windhaven Parkway
2501 Coit Road
(large green recycling bin in the south parking lot near Coit Rd)
|Plano Municipal Center|
1520 Avenue K
1501 E 18th Street
5024 Custer Road
Materials Recovery Facility
4200 E 14th Street
7 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - Noon, Saturday
|Chase Oaks Church|
281 Legacy Drive
United Electronic Recycling, LLC
Our partner, United Electronic Recycling, LLC (UER), provides professional, efficient recycling services to residents, small and large businesses, and educational organizations of Collin County, North Texas and Oklahoma. United Electronic Recycling:
- Accepts all computer related equipment, printers, audio and video equipment, consumer electronics, cell phones, and TVs*. View a complete list of what products UER accepts Opens a New Window. .
- Has a ZERO landfill or incinerator initiative! They are in full compliance with the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA) for identity theft certification, by Federal Mandate and enforced by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Offers corporate services including secure data erasure, hard drive shredding, asset recovery, and Certificate of Destruction.
- Provides free pick-up of bulk amounts of equipment to businesses and schools.
- Residential Pick-Ups are available upon request, please contact UER for Logistical Costs/Fees.
*There is a disposal fee of $5 for printers, faxes, copiers and CRT Monitors. $10 disposal fee for televisions under 32 inches and $20 for televisions 32 inches and larger when dropped off at the Recycling Events. UER cannot accept TVs, LCD, and/or CRT monitors with broken screens. Contact UER for more details Opens a New Window. .
Electronics Recycling Event Schedule
|First Saturday of every month||First United Methodist Church|
3160 E Spring Creek Parkway
Plano, TX 75074
|9 a.m. to Noon|
|Second Saturday of every month||St. Andrew United Methodist Church|
5801 W Plano Parkway
Plano, TX 75093
|9 to 11 a.m.|
|Third Saturday of every month||Christ United Methodist Church|
3101 Coit Road
Plano, TX 75075
|9 to 11 a.m.|
Why Recycle Electronics?
"Bigger, better, faster" means millions of tons of old computers and entertainment systems become obsolete and end up in landfills every year. That's a lot of wasted space! Electronics also contain toxic chemicals (like lead, mercury, and cadmium) that contaminate soil and water if left in the landfills. For more information or questions, contact Environmental Waste Services Customer Service via email or at 972-769-4150.
Texas law requires any manufacturer of televisions or computers that want to sell their products in Texas to provide recycling opportunities to their consumers at no additional cost. Click on the lists below for more information on free manufacturer programs available for recycling computers and televisions.
NOTE: Additional orange Simple Recycling bags are available at the City Warehouse located at 4100 W. Plano Parkway, 75093. Phone
4100 W. Plano Parkway
Hours: Monday - Friday, 7 am - 5 pm